Thursday, April 1, 2010

Love.

My drama teacher at the School of Excellence set homework for the class to ask for people's different opinions on the subject of love. It's been interesting getting people's opinions (even though, really, I could have guessed the responses of some of my friends and certain friends could have given more depth) but it's kind of made me wonder what I think. I've never known for sure what I think, I think I know, but I think I disagree. While I agree, to some extent, with the Beatles in that "love is all you need," [obviously, for some things, you would need skills and/or time and/or a forklift, but hey] I disagree with Carrie Bradshaw in that love should be, "inconvinient and all-consuming."
I've always felt that love was something that happened to other people. Not that I'm bitter about this, I've never actively chased it down, nor expected it to chase me, especially seeing what idiots certain friends of mine became when attacked by it. Though I'm confident I'll not become such an idiot, it's still a scary thought.
I'm not sure what I'd do for love. Unlike Meat Loaf, I wouldn't do 'anything for love' [and I definately wouldn't do that]. I don't quite know what I would do, but I know what I wouldn't do. Provided I was in a position where I could up and shift, perhaps I would move country [within reason and only if I were actually planning on spending my life with that person]. I wouldn't change/take up religion, give up a job, kill or die for love and my dignity probably wouldn't survive if I hurled myself at a person immediately [who am I? Juliet?].
For every one of my friends who have the view that love is this shining light that you should search for, live for, die for, I have a cynical friend who I can sit in a corner and grumble with at parties. For every grandmother, disappointed that I didn't dramatically devote all my time and attention and the rest of my life to that guy I was dating for a while last year, I have a dad with my best interests in mind. For every person-who-lives-in-my-house-that-my-mother-seems-fond-of who hints that I might be a lesbian, I have a blog into which I can pour my poorly-constructed thoughts into.
As far as how I feel about love, I think I'll continue with the Modus Operandi I've had for the last 17 years [which, coincidentally, is the M.O. I have with assignments). I'll get around to it.

No comments: